Friday 18 July 2014


My daughter and grandson are returning to my house today for the final leg of their journey. It's been an absolute whirlwind of activities, reunions and sightseeing for all of us. Tyra has not been home for 8 years and Kenzie has never seen his actual homeland. He is so amazed by everything, and even though they were freezing when they first arrived, the weather finally cooperated and they settled in very nicely. When you come from a tropical climate to the west coast of Canada, it is an enormous shock to your system. 

They are astounded by the daylight here on the West Coast. In Bali the sun rises and sets between 5:30-6 year round, barely fluctuating at all. So having daylight until 9-9:30 is amazing for them. They have seen all the sights around Vancouver and spent the last couple of weeks with friends and family in Victoria and surrounding areas. Tyra took Kenzie through her childhood memories and played tourist.

Now, they are exhausted and will return to Mom/Grammy for some R&R before the long trek back home. I will be extremely sad to have them leave again, but I have memories and pictures to make our parting slightly more bearable.

This has been a profound healing experience for both Tyra and myself. She has been feeling disconnected for quite some time, even with all the modern technology, and I have simply missed them both. Bali is a very long way away. There is no way to explain the fulfillment of having my daughter and grandson here on my turf, especially after such a long separation. My heart is overflowing with love and gratitude. A mother needs to be able to SEE her children, touch them, and just BE with them. There is a hollow feeling right to your core when they are not around. I am pleased that they make their own lives, but this connection has been so necessary and I am so grateful. There is nothing like family, no one else can fill that space in your heart! 

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." Desmond Tutu

No comments:

Post a Comment