Wednesday 27 September 2017

#720


Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.


This simple statement really hit home for me today. It's one of those things that you know, probably figured someone else should know, but just never really thought about it. Of course, you believe you are right if you are offended.

I find a lot of the expressions, the over -indulgence in explicit sexual language and/or interaction, violence, as well as the vulgar speech that is acceptable today, to be offensive.

Now, I suppose that a lot of it has to do with my age; and I do know that this is no longer the world of my youth, BUT.....

I am not a delicate little flower, nor (entirely), old school, I have laughed uproariously at many an off-colour joke, but somehow the foul mouths of some of the general population, showing no care or consideration for those within earshot, I find, disrespectful and rude. 

Why is this? WE knew how we were to talk when there were adults anywhere around. There was a special attempt to 'mind our manners' around the elderly, our parents, or any authority figure. Is it just that the modern world needs to express themselves and we were riddled with rules? Is it television, video games, movies? Is it the fact that more mothers are working (out of the home) mothers? Is it that children have rights pertaining to discipline? What has happened to respect and consideration for others?

I am not saying I'm right, but I am entitled to feel offended. I also realize that this is no longer MY world, it now belongs to the next generation, and they will make it what they want. Maybe the previous behaviours get voted off the island as each generation passes the torch, but acceptance, tolerance, and respect for others shouldn't be the first to go, should they? 

reprint of #484

No comments:

Post a Comment